GOLDEN SECRETS FOR GIR BULL SELECTION
17 Body Structure Feature Observations
Maldhari’s believed in screening 17 body structures of Bulls for Balanced & overall observation as they believed with their simple wisdom some of the features are of HERITABLE NATURE. We need to appreciate for their genetic knowledge, practised in a simple way.
1. Visual Screening: Look whether the Bull has healthy & firm Feet, legs & eyes.
2. Maldhari’s used to move their hands around the Bulls body to see if their fingers can feel the sufficient gaps between the ribs. A well defined gap between the ribs was believed to provide adequate body capacity for forage & feeding very critical for growth & nourishment.
3. Width of Bull chest floor signified the masculine feature.
4. They looked for strong backbone without any visible deformation/injury to the backbone which is very critical to Bulls health.
5. They looked for the length & depth of the bull body.
6. Hip structure & shape should be optimum so that the bull can move flexibly, can mount easily.
7. A big & prominent Bulging Head should clearly establish the masculine feature
8. The ears should drop down & touch the chin
9. The eyelids have layer of skin bulged around the eyes
10. The HUMP should be well-defined
11. The Horns should follow the typical Gir Horn Shape of ‘ u’
12. Neck should not be too long & blend with the chest flexibly
13. The front end of the bull needs to smaller v/s the back/pelvic area
14. The front leg should be firm & should not have any twisted/bow shaped curve
15. The Sheath should be healthy & without any pasture injuries
16. The scrotum circumference should be prominent with Optimum size
17. Skin should be shiny without much ticks/insects/infection